Welcome!

Hi! My name is Gordon White, I run the Blue Wave Taekwondo branch in Burlington Vermont. If you are interested in The Blue Wave Taekwondo Schools, please visit our Web site: The Blue Wave Taekwondo Association

Monday, June 25, 2007

we can rebuild him...

So I went in to see the doctor today - my hope was to get a splint, not a cast, and that is what happened! Power of positive thinking! (HA - to all you that snickered at me)

Here are a few photos, 2 X-Rays and one of the splint, you can see the T Plate and screws pretty well in the X - Rays. (Taken with Cell phone, so they are not great quality, and yes, my thumb really hooks out like that)


(Click for larger version)

Honestly, I feel like now the real challenge begins. I need to be able to make a fist by the time I leave for Korea, and I am no where near that right now, the Physical Therapist gave me some exercises and said if I am good about doing them I should see improvement in the next week or so...lets hope so...all I know, is the "exercises" hurt more then getting it broken.

After a 3 week lay off - I am headed into the gym to start working on forms right now...lets see how much I lost.

I will do my best to get a good Taekwondo post up here soon, I know, my own personal sob story is not nearly as interesting as Taekwondo drills.

11 comments:

Harry The Horse said...

Dude,

That's awesome! You are another step closer to full recovery. Love the X'ray shots.
Get well soon!

Gordon White said...

Thanks Harjit! I can type again too - not perfectly but better then I was before.
:-)

gw

Todd said...

MW...

Glad to hear you only have to wear splint. Cool X-rays. Just stick to that PT and you should be good to go. At least you can do a heck of a knife hand strike with that hand. Take care...hopefully sparring class went well tonight. I will be in touch once we get to FL.

Thanks for all your help getting the team ready for AAU Nationals even with all the injuries, lol!

Todd

protoluke said...

"Here are a few photos, 2 X-Rays and one of the splint, you can see the T Plate and screws pretty well in the X - Rays. (Taken with Cell phone, so they are not great quality, and yes, my thumb really hooks out like that)"

--- where did you get an x-ray phone!?

Gordon White said...

Ha ha - very funny....I actually used a pair of those X-Ray glasses I bought out of the back of a comic book. :-)

gw

John Vesia said...

Does that screw stay in? I have two of them in my left foot from some surgery I had years ago. Feel better.

Gordon White said...

the screws (8) and plate will stay in unless I have trouble with it later, sometimes the tendon can stick to the metal and they need to go in and remove it, but it won't happen for at least a year.

gw

Little Cricket said...

Positive thinking...I am reminded of the karate instructor in Joe Hyams' book who visualized his hand healing every night. I feel sure there is something to it, it can't hurt to try!

Get well soon,
little cricket

Gordon White said...

LC - you are right! i have to imagine all those little people working on my hand like construction workers...

thanks!
gw

Luc Reid said...

How is the fist-making progress? Is the PT helping?

Gordon White said...

thanks for asking, its coming along - I got back to PT on Wednesday. I still can't close my hand all the way, but its much better then it was.

gw